Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Assignment 3 - about 10/29/08 & downloading

Class date: 10/29/08

Today's topic was mostly about downloading open-source software and Bittorrent, a client that is safer than LimeWire for downloading files. (Though I dislike downloading ANY executable file I don't know for a fact is safe. Most of my downloading time is spent on music.) I've never used Bittorrent, so I poked around its Wikipedia page and found a link to Torrent Guides. (Amusingly, the Featured Site is The Pirate Bay, a public tracker we were warned against in class. xD) From there I found a link to Brian's BitTorrent FAQ and Guide, which turned out to be really informative. And I learned something new about courtesy in file sending with Bittorrent. Generally when I share files with someone, I zip the file for easier sending. With Bittorrent, you shouldn't turn the files into a .zip or .rar file. Instead you should put them in a directory and then leave them alone. Rar-ing or zipping the files just adds an extra step and irritates the downloader.

No comments: